NASCAR in court: Joe Gibbs Racing sues former competition director

Hanging over much of NASCAR's offseason was a nine-day trial that ended with the sanctioning body of stock car racingsettling with Michael Jordan's 23XI Racingand another team, Front Row Motorsports.

USA TODAY Sports

Now, the sport is seemingly headed back to court.

Joe Gibbs Racing filed a lawsuit in the Western District of North Carolina on Thursday against the team's former competition director, Chris Gabehart. Gibbs' team alleges that Gabehart "embarked on a brazen scheme to steal JGR's most sensitive information and use it for the benefit of a direct competitor in NASCAR — Spire Motorsports."

USA TODAY Sports obtained a copy of the lawsuit, where JGR seeks to recover damages of up to $8 million because Gabehart allegedly violated "his contractual obligations and wrongfully" used "JGR's confidential information and trade secrets."

JGR claims that Gabehart stole the team's trade secrets after his demands for additional authority with the organization were "rebuffed" and he became "dissatisfied" with his position at JGR.

The filing did not request an injunction preventing Gabehart from working for Spire, though it's unclear if he actually reached an employment agreement with the team. Gabehart is not listed on Spire's website in a leadership or crew chief position. Spire is also not named as a co-defendant in the lawsuit.

According to JGR's claims, Gabehart met with team owner Joe Gibbs on Nov. 6, 2025 and demanded authority that would give him "carte blanche" over all racing decisions. When Gibbs declined to give Gabehart that power, Gabehart informed Gibbs he preferred to leave JGR and the two parties began working towards what JGR believed was an "amicable" and "generous" separation agreement.

Advertisement

However, JGR says it became "suspicious" of Gabehart's intentions when it learned he had already allegedly met with Jeff Dickerson, the owner of Spire. JGR says it then conducted a forensic investigation of Gabehart's JGR-owned laptop and found "shocking" results.

JGR claims that its forensic investigation revealed that Gabehart allegedly synced his personal Google Drive with his JGR laptop, repeatedly conducted online research about Spire while he was still employed by JGR, had a Google Drive folder titled "Spire," and captured "more than a dozen" photos the day after his meeting with Gibbs — Nov. 7 — that contained "images of JGR files containing Confidential Information and Trade Secrets."

Additionally, JGR alleges that the photos also contained "comprehensive post-race audit and analyses of team and driver performance" for the entire 2025 season, complete team payroll details and compensation plans, pit crew analytics for the 2024 NASCAR season, and "detailed analytics of racecar tires used to assess impact on race results."

JGR says it learned on Feb. 11 that Gabehart had taken the position as Spire's chief motorsports officer, a role in which he "would be responsible for all of Spire's racing strategy and operations," which JGR contends is similar to what he did for them as competition director. Previously, JGR claims, Gabehart told them in December that his position with Spire wouldn't be similar to the role he had with JGR.

Kyle Busch, driver of the #8 zone Jalapeno Lime Chevrolet, and Chase Briscoe, driver of the #19 Bass Pro Shops Toyota, lead the field to start the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds perform a flyover prior to the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. A detail view of Crew members prepare the pit area for the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. Daytona International Speedway President Frank Kelleher presents a custom guitar to award-winning American country music singer Miranda Lambert before the 68th running of the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway. Actor Kurt Russell, honorary pace car driver takes questions from the media before the 68th running of the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR fans arrive for the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. NASCAR fans walk the infield grass prior to the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. A NASCAR fan signs the checkered start/finish line prior to the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla. A general view of the sunrise over the Daytona International Speedway prior to the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 on Feb. 15, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Scenes of speed and spectacle at 68th running of the Daytona 500

Considered to be one of the smartest minds around the NASCAR garage, the 44-year-old Gabehart began his career in NASCAR's Cup Series in 2012 as an engineer on Kyle Busch's car with JGR. He was then the crew chief for Erik Jones in the second-tier Xfinity Series, then became the crew chief for Denny Hamlin's No. 11 in 2019. With Gabehart leading his team, Hamlin won 22 races in a six-year stretch, including a pair of Daytona 500s. Hamlin also made the final championship four in three seasons.

The winner of three Super Bowls as the head coach of Washington, Joe Gibbs founded Joe Gibbs Racing in 1992. The team has won five Cup Series championships, most recently with Busch in 2019. Gibbs' grandson Ty — now a Cup Series driver — won the team's fourth Xfinity Series championship in 2022.

A member of both the Pro Football and NASCAR hall of fames, Gibbs now co-owns JGR with his daughter-in-law Heather. In addition to his grandson and Hamlin, the team also fields Cup Series cars driven by Christopher Bell and Chase Briscoe.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:NASCAR in court: Joe Gibbs Racing sues former competition director

NASCAR in court: Joe Gibbs Racing sues former competition director

Hanging over much of NASCAR's offseason was a nine-day trial that ended with the sanctioning body of stock car racin...
MLB's 1st female ump, Jen Pawol, works spring training but doesn't get a permanent staff opening

NEW YORK (AP) — Jen Pawol will umpire during spring training for the third straight year butthe major leagues' first female umpiredid not get one of the permanent staff openings.

Associated Press FILE - Home plate umpire Jen Pawol looks on before a baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the Chicago White Sox, Friday, Sept. 26, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nick Wass, File) FILE - Umpire Brian Walsh (60) works in the first inning during a baseball game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Houston Astros, Wednesday, July 23, 2025, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri, File) FILE - Toronto Blue Jays' Ernie Clement, bottom, reacts after being called out by third base umpire Tom Hanahan, top left, after being tagged out by New York Yankees third baseman Ryan McMahon (19) while trying to stretch a run-scoring double into a triple during the eighth inning of a baseball game Friday, Sept. 5, 2025, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger, File)

Umpires Baseball

Tom Hanahan and Brian Walsh were promoted Friday to replace Mark Carlson and Phil Cuzzi, who are retiring. Carlson will become an umpire supervisor.

Jordan Baker, who worked the plate in Game 7 of last year's World Series, will replace Carlson as a crew chief.

Pawol, 49, became the first female major league umpire Aug. 9 and worked a total of five big league games last year. In 2024, she became the first woman to umpire big league spring training games since Ria Cortesio in 2007. Pawol has been a minor league ump since 2016 and has worked at Triple-A since 2023.

Advertisement

Walsh, 41, has worked 339 major league games as a call-up umpire and Hanahan, who is 35, has worked 329. Both made their major league debuts in 2023.

The 56-year-old Carlson made his major league debut in 1999 and has been a crew chief since 2021. He worked the World Series in 2015, 2020 and 2024, and he was behind the plate fora no-hitter by the Los Angeles Angels' Jered Weaveron May 2, 2012.

Cuzzi, 70, worked his first major league game in 1991 and worked the World Series in 2017. He was the plate umpire for no-hitters by St. Louis' Bud Smith on Sept. 3, 2001, andby Philadelphia's Cole Hamelson July 25, 2015.

AP MLB:https://apnews.com/hub/mlb

MLB's 1st female ump, Jen Pawol, works spring training but doesn't get a permanent staff opening

NEW YORK (AP) — Jen Pawol will umpire during spring training for the third straight year butthe major leagues' first...
MLB star Bryce Harper wants more fighting in baseball: 'If you want to go, you want to go'

Bryce Harperwas part of one of the better bench-clearing brawls in recent memory, and it seems like he wouldn't mind being in more.

Fox News

Harper, of course,charged the moundto go fist for fist with relief pitcher Hunter Strickland in 2017, stemming from beef the two had years earlier.

The two-time MVP watched the film of the fight on a recent episode of "Bussin' With The Boys," and gave a wild opinion.

Click Here For More Sports Coverage On Foxnews.com

Bryce Harper fighting

"I think this should happen more often in baseball," Harper said. "I think it would eliminate guys throwing at each other. It'sjust like hockey. If you want to go, you want to go.

"This is just part of the game. Obviously, I don't want to fight anyone on the baseball field. But there comes a time where it's like, hey dude you get drilled, it is what it is at that point."

Advertisement

Read On The Fox News App

Bryce Harper fighting

Mike Trout Gives The $35 Million Reason Why He Will Not Play For Team Usa In World Baseball Classic

Harper also said there is "no bad blood" between himself and Strickland anymore.

Harper was suspended for four games, while Strickland was out for six. Fighting in hockey is normally a five-minute major, but further punishment could occur.

Benches clear

Harper is going into his 15th MLB season — he's a lifetime .280 hitter with a .905 OPS.

Follow Fox News Digital'ssports coverage on X, and subscribe tothe Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Original article source:MLB star Bryce Harper wants more fighting in baseball: 'If you want to go, you want to go'

MLB star Bryce Harper wants more fighting in baseball: 'If you want to go, you want to go'

Bryce Harperwas part of one of the better bench-clearing brawls in recent memory, and it seems like he wouldn't mind...

 

ONEEL JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com